Friday, January 28, 2011

Memory Memos: Philippians 3:14



I press toward the mark for the prize of the high calling of God in Christ Jesus. - KJV

" "I press". This same verb is translated "I follow after" in Philippians 3:12, and it carries the idea of intense endeavor. The Greeks used it to describe a hunter eagerly pursuing his prey. A man does not become a winning athlete by listening to lectures, watching movies, reading books, or cheering at the games. He becomes a winning athlete by getting into the game and determining to win! The same zeal that Paul employed when he persecuted the church (Phil. 3:6), he displayed in serving Christ. Come to think of it, wouldn't it be wonderful if Christians put as much determination into their spiritual life as they do their golfing, fishing, or bowling?"
Wiersbe Commentary.

How often do we put more energy into the things we enjoy as opposed to the investment of eternal treasures? As I was reading this commentary it really convicted me in a few areas. How often do we waste precious time on the seemly unimportant aspects of life? When that time could be devoted to bible study, prayer, or serving a needy neighbor? I think about today and one question comes to my mind. What do I need to change so I can press toward the mark?

No comments:

Post a Comment