Friday, February 4, 2011

Is God reprogramming your mind or are you?

There is alot of talk in the Christian community about scripture memorization. And may I add for good reason. God instructs us in his word to reprogram our minds (Romans 12:2, Joshua 1:8). I have my own system down as well... holding myself to the discipline of memorizing one verse a week. I do this because if I hide it in my heart it will keep me from sinning (Psalm 119:11). How does this work? well by hiding it in our hearts Gods Spirit can bring it back to our memory in our time of need (John 14:26). Back to the point at hand, as I was doing my own Bible study I came across a story in the Bible which I have seen several times in the last week. Mind you, I have been studying the Bible for 3+ years and have never seen this story before. Then it dawned on me, "God is revealing this to me- he wants me to see this, he wants me to soak it in my spirit, he has a lesson to teach."
How many times have you seen a verse repeatedly only to have it stick with you? Do you really believe it is a coincidence? Maybe as we are physically turning the pages he is spiritually programming us with the information he wants us to retain? How often do we create our own bible studies/memory systems (which are valuable) yet he knows we need a different scripture to teach us what we need to learn. I just am awestruck by his sovereignty.

So he pretended to be insane in their presence; and while he was in their hands he acted like a madman, making marks on the doors of the gate, and letting saliva run down his beard. - 1 Samuel 21:13

That is the scripture in case your wondering. Who was the person who was drooling on himself? It was no other than David, King David, the man after Gods own heart. I love the fact that this man was anointed by God so powerfully yet when in need succumbed to complete embarressment just to survive.

No comments:

Post a Comment